The wide skyscraper is another ad unit that has taken over as one of the most prevalent ad units visible throughout The Internet. This ad size is recommended by all of the major ad networks, including Google AdSense, Microsoft Advertising and the IAB (Interactive Advertising Bureau). Unlike most of the square ad units, the skyscraper is designed for very specific locations, as it is very tall and thin, although not as thin as its predecessor, the 120 x 600 – Skyscraper. The skyscraper is very useful for small columns, or rails, on your site, under menus, categories, tags or other, similar list-type content.
Because of this, the 160 x 600 – Wide Skyscraper has become harder to find, as wider screen have allowed the navigation columns to expand to 250 or 300 pixels, accommodating the larger square ad units. However, a lot of properties are starting to put the Wide skyscraper next to a list or menu in the wider columns that are now found in most modern layouts.
The Google AdSense One Click Optimizer recommends that you place the 160 x 600 – Wide Skyscraper in the rail underneath your navigation, both on the home page of your blog, as well as interior article and archive pages. This ad can contain either text ads or image/rich media ads and an example of each can be found below:
I’m looking forward to testing the 160×600 – Wide Skyscraper on various sites and with different placements to see how it performs compared to other similar ad units in the same type of location. Next up will be the old standard, but fallen out of favor: 468×60 – banner.
- Check AdSense Earnings in Google Chrome With AdSense Publisher Toolbar (techie-buzz.com)
- Google AdSense 728×90 Leaderboard (jonathanjeter.com)
- Google AdSense 336×280 (jonathanjeter.com)
- Instagram and Android, Together at Last!
- Looking for Instagram or Android fonts or logos and icons in png and vector?
- Exploring Standard Ad Unit Sizes: Google AdSense 120x600 Skyscraper
- 8 Design Lessons Learned from the Google Redesign
- Exploring Standard Ad Unit Sizes: Google AdSense 336 x 280 - Large Rectangle
- I wanted to use Google Chrome to create this post, but I had to use Safari
- How to Use Chromecast with Chrome Browser
- A Brief History of the Complete Redesign of Google at #SXSW2012
- Exploring Standard Ad Unit Sizes: Google AdSense 200x200 - Small Square
- Backbone: 3 Ways